Image by Kyle Glenn


Seeking a Temporary Visa or Partner Visa in Christchurch or NZ?

Different kinds of temporary entry class visa are available depending on your situation and requirements. While Professional Immigration Services is based in Christchurch, modern technology and Immigration New Zealand's move to online visa processing means that our Christchurch immigration advisor can assist clients living anywhere in NZ and the world.

For NZ partner visas, please see here: Partnership Category & NZ Partner Visas

For dependent child visas, please see here: Dependent Children

Visitor Visa

Visitor visas allow travel to New Zealand for various purposes, including for holidays and meeting family or friends. You do not need to formally apply for a visitor visa if you're a citizen of a visa-waiver country; however, you will still need to request and be granted a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) before travelling.


We will recommend the right type of visitor visa for your circumstances and advise you on the documents required to apply. Every category of visitor visa has a different set of requirements, and it is important to provide evidence of meeting those requirements in order to avoid unnecessary complications in the application.

Work Visa Christchurch NZ

There are many different kinds of NZ work visa available. The most common kinds of NZ work visa that people apply for are listed below.

Post-study work visa

A visa for tertiary students who have completed their study in New Zealand. Also known as an 'open job search' visa, this work visa provides graduates with an opportunity to look for skilled employment in New Zealand.

Essential Skills work visa

The work visa that most migrant workers in New Zealand apply for. One of the key requirements for this visa is that the employer must advertise and check the labour market for suitable New Zealanders first before offering the job to a migrant.

The Essential Skills Work Visa will be replaced by the new Accredited Employer Work Visa from 4 July 2022 onwards. In order to get an Accredited Employer Work Visa, the employer that you are working for must be accredited (i.e., registered) with Immigration New Zealand. Usual health, character, job and labour market checks will apply.

Partnership work visa

One of the visa options under Partnership Category. Partners of New Zealand citizens, residents and holders of certain work or student visas are eligible. This visa requires proof that your relationship with your partner is genuine and stable, and that the two of you have lived together for at least a few months.

Work to residence visa Christchurch

A 30-month work visa that allows the holder to apply directly for residence after 24 months on the visa. There are actually multiple subcategories of Work to Residence visa.


The Work to Residence (Talent - Accredited Employer) and Work to Residence (Long Term Skill Shortage List) visas are sadly no longer available after 31 October 2021. However, people who already held one of these visas before 31 October 2021 and who make an application for residence under Residence for Work category before their visa expires will still be able to apply to renew their Work to Residence (Talent - Accredited Employer) or Work to Residence (Long Term Skill Shortage List) visa while they wait for a decision on their residence application.


Each type of work visa comes with its own unique advantages and disadvantages, as well as a completely different set of requirements, so check your eligibility with an adviser first if you're thinking of applying for a work visa under one of these categories.

Student Visa

All migrants wishing to study full-time for longer than three months will need a student visa. Deciding on the best course for your career progression can be daunting, but with the right advice, you will be in a better position to decide which course best suits your needs.

Once you've acquired a student visa, it's extremely important to adhere to the visa conditions. A breach of visa conditions can have serious implications for future visa applications. If you have breached your visa conditions, we can help you to choose a different course and/or explain your circumstances to Immigration New Zealand.



Need guidance? Professional Immigration Services offers obligation-free initial assessments to help clients better understand their situation and prospects. Whether you've received a concern letter from Immigration New Zealand or just need help planning your future, we will facilitate your needs and help get you to where you need to be.


Based in Christchurch city, Professional Immigration Services provides high quality, reliable advice in relation to New Zealand visa applications and other immigration-related matters. Equipped with in-depth industry knowledge and experience, Evelyn Dyer is a Licensed Immigration Adviser who has special expertise in a range of complex immigration issues. She is renowned for her caring attitude towards clients, fast response times and high level of personalised service. If you're looking for an immigration adviser who takes the time to listen to you and understand your whole situation, Evelyn is the adviser for you.


Unlike other areas of law, the immigration industry in New Zealand is fast-moving and dynamic. Sometimes, policy changes are introduced quite literally overnight, so we are constantly updating our knowledge and clarifying grey areas with Immigration New Zealand's management team. If you're interested in keeping up to date with New Zealand immigration law and policy changes, keep an eye on our Blog page for the latest in immigration news, tips and articles.