top of page


Image by Kyle Glenn


Need help applying for your child's visa?

No problem! Dependent child visas are one of our Licensed Immigration Adviser's specialties. Dependent Child Category exists in order to allow families to live together in New Zealand. It contains the following three types of visa: visitor visa, student visa, and resident visa.


Visas under Dependent Child Category are available to children born to New Zealand citizen/resident parents who obtained their citizenship or residence after the child was born, and also to some eligible work and student visa holders. Children must be aged 0-19 for visitor and student visas, or 0-24 for residence. As a general rule, children aged 18 or older must be single, with no children of their own, and totally or substantially reliant on their parent or parents for financial support. Therefore, undertaking full-time employment can compromise the status of dependent children and render them ineligible for visas under this category.

If the parents of a child under the age of 16 are separated or divorced, the New Zealand citizen or resident parent must produce satisfactory proof that they have the right to remove the child from the country in which rights of custody or visitation have been granted, or, if no such rights of visitation have been granted, from the child's country of residence.

Dependent Child Visitor Visa

The Dependent Child Visitor Visa is mostly for children who are too young to attend primary school. It may be applied for when a new baby is born, or when a child younger than five years old is moving to New Zealand with their parents. It can be renewed as necessary until the child grows old enough to attend school.

Dependent Child Student Visa

A visa for school-aged children so that they may attend school in New Zealand, the Dependent Child Student Visa is available for dependent children up to the age of 18 or 19. Children who hold this visa may attend school as domestic students, meaning that their education will be completely free if attending public schools.

Dependent Child Residence

Residence under Dependent Child Category is available to the children of New Zealand citizens and residents who obtained their citizenship or residence after the child was already born. There is an age limit of 24 years old, hence children over the age of 24 will not not eligible for residence as dependents of their parents. Dependent children aged 21-24 must demonstrate that they are totally or substantially reliant on an adult for financial support.

Services: Services


Need guidance? Professional Immigration Services offers obligation-free initial assessments to help clients better understand their situation and prospects. Whether you've received a concern letter from Immigration New Zealand or just need help planning your future, we will facilitate your needs and help get you to where you need to be.


Based in Christchurch city, Professional Immigration Services provides high quality, reliable advice in relation to New Zealand visa applications and other immigration-related matters. Equipped with in-depth industry knowledge and experience, Evelyn Dyer is a Licensed Immigration Adviser who has special expertise in a range of complex immigration issues. She is renowned for her caring attitude towards clients, fast response times and high level of personalised service. If you're looking for an immigration adviser who takes the time to listen to you and understand your whole situation, Evelyn is the adviser for you.


Unlike other areas of law, the immigration industry in New Zealand is fast-moving and dynamic. Sometimes, policy changes are introduced quite literally overnight, so we are constantly updating our knowledge and clarifying grey areas with Immigration New Zealand's management team. If you're interested in keeping up to date with New Zealand immigration law and policy changes, keep an eye on our Blog page for the latest in immigration news, tips and articles.

bottom of page